Monday, January 19, 2009

Roxie Munro

One of my favorite new (to me!) authors is Roxie Munro. Her books are wonderful for whole page exploration. We've been looking at her maze books which draw you in with a series of tasks to complete on the page. I love sitting with my boys and having them talk their way through the maze which always opens up a discussion about the place. Roxie Munro uses real places like a marina, an art museum, hiking trails, roadways, a farm, a plant nursery and more) so the "mazes" feel more like the view from above of all the paths, trails, and roads that could really be there. And when you finish there are also a few things to simply find. So fun! So far my favorite is:

Using these books gave me the idea to collect all the little maps we come across in our daily adventures - like the aquarium map we just got during our visit or the grocery store map I picked up at Metropolitan Market awhile ago. Wouldn't it be a fun game to create our own tasks using maps from our own life?

No comments: