Thursday, August 27, 2009

A Space for Children

I checked out this book, Designs for Living and Learning and spent a few weeks looking at it this summer. First of all, it's a beautiful book to look at - full of glossy photos with explanations and interesting ideas for setting up a spaces where children spend time. It was actually written for people working in childcare or preschool environments, but since we're homeschooling I'm always interested in getting new ideas for our space here at home.

And I especially liked a "preschool assessment" list included in the back of the book. It's a list of things to look for in a preschool environment, but it's a nice reminder of what to consider including in the space where your own children are at home. (I'm only including the items that make sense for a home environment!)

1. I can see who I am and what I like to do here.

2. The natural world can be found here (such as objects from nature, animals, living specimens).

3. There is something sparkly, shadowy, or wondrous and magical here.

4. My [parents] leave a special object out here every day so I can keep trying to figure out more about its properties and how it works.

5. There are materials here that I can use to make representations from what I understand or imagine.

6. I can feel powerful and be physically active here.

7. I can learn to see things from different perspectives here, literally and through assuming roles in dramatic play.

8. I see my name written, or I get to regularly write my name here.

No comments: