Monday, March 16, 2009

Seasonal Tableau




We're just a few days away from spring, (though you wouldn't notice by poking your head outside around here!) And with the changing of the seasons it's time to change the seasonal display! I love this idea because it's so fun and simple and even obvious, yet I hadn't thought of doing it before I saw a photo of one on "our unschooled family" blog. I'm sure it's done in Waldorf schools, but this year the boys and I have been setting up our own seasonal displays.

We gather all the little odds and ends around the house that might work: a teacup from my grandmother's collection, a porcelain Hagen-Renaker animal or two, a photo, a pressed leaf, a shell or rock, a curl of bark or twist of ribbon. We talk about what the season reminds us of, what we like to do and look forward to doing, find things outside on our ramblings and then put it all together in a little display. It changes daily as they like to add and subtract from it and play with the figures and other loose parts.

A few times they've been dead set on adding something that seems totally unrelated like a little black plastic gorilla that Yogi likes to add whatever the season, but that's ok too. The Nature Corner book has been recommended too, but I haven't gotten my copy yet!

No comments: